Facts about the Johnson County Master Gardener program and Kansas State University:
Our program is one of the largest in the United States, with 400+ members. Over the past 5 years, we have volunteered an average 47,094 hours of community service each year. Our vegetable gardens provide nearly 5,000 lbs. of food to local food pantries each summer.
Our program includes community outreach and education through:
• Nine demonstration gardens https://www.johnson.k-state.edu/lawn-garden/demonstration-gardens/index.html.
• A horticulture therapy gardening program designed to enrich the lives of residents at a senior living facility – Winner of a 2021 Search for Excellence award.
• Junior Master Gardener programs at 5 elementary schools.
• Speakers’ bureau.
• Gardening hotline by Master Gardeners 5 days a week, during our growing season of March through October.
• Biannual public garden tour that funds our programs.
• Scholarships awarded each semester to horticulture students at a local community college and Kansas State University.
• Active participation in the Johnson County Fair.