Our ambitious IMGC 2023 environmental stewardship goals challenge all of us to do things differently. We can meet these goals with your help.
There are three facets to our Environmental Stewardship initiative:
- Education about environmentally responsible gardening practices. Learn sustainable practices to use in your own program, community and home garden.
For more information about gardening practices, what we’re doing at IMGC, and what you can do, click on the link.
- Operation of our conference in a sustainable manner. We systematically examined every aspect of the conference looking for ways to make it environmentally friendly. We chose a conference center with a robust sustainability program. We identified dozens of additional actions we could take and implemented as many as possible to conserve natural resources, minimize waste of all types, and repurpose, recycle and compost whenever possible.
Click on each highlighted issue to learn more about the environmental problems associated with food waste, dietary choices, and plastics/other so-called recyclables, what we’re doing at IMGC, and what you can do.
- Action of our conference attendees in making sustainable choices. Please accept the challenge and partner with us by choosing “greener” options.
For a consolidated list of actions you can take at IGMC, click here
As an incentive to be “green” at the conference, we will award prizes to the top 3 finishers in our Green Challenge. You can earn points for activities such as:
- avoiding single-use plastics
- eating vegetarian meals
- walking or carpooling to the conference center
- reusing your towels at the hotel (or at home!)
- recycling appropriately
- attending environmentally-focused educational presentations
- visiting the Environmental Stewardship booth.
For a complete list of qualifying activities click here.